A Few Important Things to Know About Auto Insurance
The process of choosing, then purchasing a new car is an involved process, requiring a lot of research. It is a balancing act to find one that is affordable, yet fits the needs of the buyer. The same goes for insuring the car.
The options involved in buying car insurance are myriad and it is vital to learn how auto insurance quotes are calculated, in order to get the best deal possible. This article will explain car insurance in some detail, and hopefully be of some help to anyone looking for that perfect policy at the perfect price. As with any product, information is the best way to get the best deal available.
Is Auto Insurance Even Necessary?
Almost every state requires a driver to have some form of auto insurance. For those living in those few states where there is no legal requirement, it is still a good idea to have some form of coverage. Uninsured drivers who end up in an accident may well have to pay out of their own pocket for such things as repairs, medical costs, legal fees, and any other expenses incurred in such an event. Even for drivers who were not at fault, the legal representation required to prove it might well cost more than any insurance policy or deductible.
factors that Affect Insurance Premiums
There are several things that insurance providers consider when calculating insurance premiums, including:
- The age, gender, and marital status of the driver
- The driver's previous driving record, especially if it is clean or has a number of violations
- The type of coverage desired for the policy
- The number of people to be named in the policy
- Previous credit history
- The make and model of the car to be insured
- The neighborhood in which the policy holder resides
Common Auto Insurance Discounts
Many policy holders or those looking for policies may find themselves eligible for one or more discounts. There are a number of factors that might grant such a discount, including:
- Any anti-theft devices installed in the car
- If the driver is a student
- If the driver is over a certain age, generally 50 years or older
- If more than one vehicle is insured on the same policy
- If the driver is willing to take an advanced driving course, and passes
- If the driver has a low annual mileage
Finding Auto Insurance Quotes
Comparison rates from multiple companies should always be at the same level of coverage. And when the time comes to actually sign a policy, be sure to ask for discounts, as well, since there is always at least one that is applicable. The quotes found on the Internet or even via phone call are only estimates, and the exact fees may change over time, depending upon personal circumstance. One thing to consider is a non-binding application before changing auto insurance providers. This is a good way to know exactly what the premiums will be before canceling any existing policy.